Please read through the following information as you prayerfully consider employment at Legacy:
At Legacy Preparatory Christian Academy (LPCA) we want to partner with parents to inspire their children to be college-worthy, character witnesses of Christ. We will accomplish this through an environment that allows parents to spend more time with their children via the university style schedule and through a college preparatory curriculum based on a biblical worldview. With the Lord as our guide, we are committed to equipping our students and families to be confident in what they believe and able to defend their faith in love, boldly and unashamedly. Students will enter the college of their choice with the knowledge, skills sets, and preparedness to excel in today’s college environment.
LPCA exists to cultivate parental involvement in the educational process of their children; to instill students with a biblical worldview and the passion to stand firm and articulate boldly in defense of their faith, to prepare them for the rigors of college, to guide them into independent learning, and to train our students to always give themselves fully to the work of the Lord, because their labor will not be in vain. Truth is revealed by God through Christ “in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” Colossians 2:3
More About Legacy Preparatory Christian Academy
Statement of Faith
Families and Staff must be in agreement with the following Statement of Faith that guides the ministry of Legacy Preparatory Christian Academy:
- There is one sovereign God in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- There is one way of salvation: faith in Jesus Christ, the son of God, who lived as a man, died for the sins of all men, and was resurrected so that all who believe in their hearts and confess Jesus as Lord with their mouths will be saved.
- There is one book of truth: the Bible, God’s written revelation to man, authoritative, reliable, and inerrant, without the need of any other document to complete its message.
- There is one body: the church, with its many parts acting in unison.
In order to fulfill our vision and mission in Christ, LPCA gives the priority to these fundamental principles:
- Partnering with parents to provide a challenging college preparatory education based on biblical principles. (Deuteronomy 6:5-7; 1 Corinthians 10:31; Colossians 3:23-24)
- Therefore, dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Corinthians 15:58
- Fulfilling the Lord’s directive to spread the “good news.” And the Lord said, “Whom shall I send? Who will go for me?” and Isaiah replied, “Here am I. Send me!” (Isaiah 6:8)
Legacy Preparatory Christian Academy is a University Model School (UMS) and a member of the National Association of University Model School:
What Is University Model Schooling (UMS)?
A University-Model School® is a blend of the most positive aspects from traditional public and private schools as well as home schools, to give elementary through high school a highly successful, college-preparatory education, set in a Christian environment. The key is professional classroom instruction partnered with caring parenting at home.
The immediate goal of the UMS is quality, cost-effective, college-preparatory education accomplished in a way that gives parents more time for imparting the faith and values they hold precious. The ultimate goal is that of producing wholesome, competent men and women of character who make a positive difference for Christ in the next generation.
At Legacy Prep, we meet on a Monday/Wednesday schedule for grades PreK through 4th and Monday/Wednesday/Fridays for 5th through 10th grade. This provides families with more time at home than traditional schooling, but also allows for the power of the classroom in a child’s education.
University-Model schools also integrate challenging academics with Christ-like character development. They affirm the parents’ role as the primary influence in their children’s lives by redirecting time from the school back to the family.
At Legacy we offer:
- University style schedule – classes meet 2 or 3 days a week for a 16-18 week semester
- Course registration on a semester basis
- Flexible scheduling for full and part time students
- Clearly articulated course descriptions
- Integrated parent/teacher instruction
- High academic standards and strong work ethic
- Instruction based on ability level
- Low student-teacher ratio
Who Is NAUMS?
The National Association of University-Model Schools® (NAUMS, Inc.), a distinctly Christian organization, was started in 2002, in order to promote this unique model and to provide support and assistance to existing and developing University-Model Schools (UMS) answering the need of so many Christian parents in search of a better educational model for their children.
Our Educational Philosophy
At Legacy Preparatory Christian Academy we believe that our philosophy hinges on four components: 1) a biblical foundation, 2) emphasizing the parent’s vital role in their child’s education, 3) focusing on character training and 4) preparing each student for college and life.
A Biblical Foundation
A biblical foundation is key to our school’s philosophy of education. At Legacy Preparatory Christian Academy we believe that there is one sovereign God in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. There is one way of salvation: faith in Jesus Christ, the son of God, who lived as a man, died for the sins of all men, and was resurrected so that all who believe in their hearts and confess Jesus as Lord with their mouths will be saved. There is one book of truth: the Bible, God’s written revelation to man, authoritative, reliable, inerrant and without need of any other document to complete its message. There is one body: the church, with its many parts acting in unison. These beliefs drive our educational philosophy.
Education can most effectively be accomplished in an environment which recognizes that all truth is God’s truth. The fear of the Lord is the foundation of all wisdom and knowledge, and only a redeemed person can fully comprehend truth as the Holy Spirit reveals it to him. In the curricula, an emphasis on the unity of all truth and on the development of an eternal perspective for life naturally follows.
Emphasizing the Parent’s Vital Role
Scripture clearly teaches that parents are responsible for their children’s education and discipline. The school is not a substitute for the home, but is an extension of the home and one means through which parents fulfill the responsibility the Lord has given them. At Legacy, we give time back to families in order to help them take ownership of their child’s education and have more time to play an integral role in shaping who they become. We believe in educating our parents unto the task of co-teaching and we will provide dedicated time to helping them become the best co-teacher possible. We will seek to give parents greater access to their children by involving parents in the scholastic lives of their children’s training in a university-model structure and system.
Focus on Character Training
With core values in place, we ask every student, parent and teacher to adhere to the core values of the school. These core values speak to the character training as the heart of Legacy. We believe in devoted class time to character training and incorporate a monthly character trait into our daily bible lessons in the classroom. We also believe that character can be woven and seen throughout literature, history, science and math. We expect all faculty and staff, as well as parents, to take all opportunity to train students in the value of character. We will stress the importance of character development as a basis for true academic success and achievement and believe that passing on these traits will build a lifelong desire to be a man or woman of character.
Preparing Each Student for College and Life
The primary goal of all Christian Education is to prepare each student to glorify God in all that he/she does. We desire to fulfill this goal by the following:
- Training and encouraging students to become committed disciples of Christ
- Committing to a work ethic and doing all things “as unto the Lord.” (Col. 3:23)
- Promoting and adhering to high academic standards.
- Encouraging the use of good study habits.
- Engaging in independent study and research.
- Incorporating and integrating student activities as an important tool in the educational process and a means for building leadership skills and community
Reasons to Teach At Legacy
- A heart to use your gift of teaching for the glory of God
- To be a pioneer in a new form of education
- A heart to minister to families through education
- Desire for your kids to attend Legacy
- Teachers receive discounted tuition rates
- Enjoy the camaraderie of teaching with like-minded teachers and staff
- Flexibility of teaching part-time
Considerations Before Teaching At Legacy
- Typical public and private schools have approximately 180 days of school per academic year. In contrast, Legacy will have approximately 68 days for elementary and 102 days for secondary courses per academic year. This adds up to approximately 102 hours of instruction per course per academic year.
- It is imperative for teachers at Legacy to be able to effectively use class time to cover material from textbooks or curriculum. Practically, this means that teachers will cover more material in less time, compared to other types of schools.
- Record keeping includes attendance, lesson plans and assignment sheets.
- Since parents are partners in education, there will be specific guidelines with regard to communication between parent and teacher.
- In grades 1-8, parent acts as “guide for dependent study” providing practice and instruction at home as supplied by teacher.
- In grades 9-12, parent role shifts to that of “guide for independent study”, with the bulk of instruction and direction for academics coming from the teacher and parents supporting students by interest in activities and encouragement, moving a child toward independence.
- All personnel should have a loving relationship with and an active faith in Jesus Christ.
- All personnel should have a meaningful involvement in a Bible-believing local church whose doctrine and practice bears no contradiction to the basic doctrine and practice of Legacy Prep.
- All personnel should have a sincere interest in the spiritual life and Christian education of children.
- All personnel should have a sincere interest in the need for this ministry to use its programs to help parents prepare college-worthy, character-witnesses of Christ for the next generation and therefore to bear witness to the entire world with integrity.
- Teachers should have expertise and experience for the courses they desire to teach
- Ensure prospective teacher understands school model by attending Parent Informational Meeting and Viewing NAUMS video
- Submit Resume’ and Teacher Application
- Interview with Administrator and/or representative
- References checked
- Second interview, if appropriate
- Classroom observation by Administrator, if requested
- Candidate presented to school board for approval
- Preliminary approval
- Offer letter
- Acceptance letter
- Background check